A Little Golden Milk Ice Cream Healing
As the female founder of BeachCandy, celebrating over a decade as a brand, I have faced many obstacles while building. But the ultimate challenge has been running a business with a chronic autoimmune illness. After 12+ years of disabling symptoms, we finally diagnosed the root cause of my illness, AS or Ankylosing Spondylitis. My inflammation levels earlier this year were at an all-time high that triggered stiffness that paralyzed me.
Running a luxury e-commerce brand without being able to walk was not an option. Therefore, I dove head first into any book on the topic of Autoimmunity.
And the sad truth is, we are all victims of the toxic overload in the US today.
From food to water to everyday products, our resilient miraculous bodies crumble over time as the toxic burden increases. Each toxic encounter is another drip against your immunity.
This is why there is the saying, “you are what you eat.”
This is not a shame tactic, this is a reality. And at BeachCandy Swimwear, we have always fought for the natural health of women of all shapes and sizes. This is an entirely different thread of discussion, this is an ode to your quality of life in your body.
We only get one body therefore detoxing has been a trend for decades.
We are taking a stand for cleaning up our inner toxicity and bringing awareness to this pandemic greater than COVID. But before you begin to redefine your lifestyle, eating habits, and products be sure to make room for your emotional transition. Knowledge is power and knowing the impact if you continue without caution will cost you your quality of life.
No body in the world is immune to millions of chemicals in our day to day life. This is why we see a rise in Autism, Alzheimers, Cancer. And the list of diseases caused by inflammation in the body goes on forever. The cure for cancer is a clean, well-tuned detoxed daily environment for your cells.
Would you put canola oil in your car and expect it to drive optimally?
The same goes for our bodies.
Did you know traces of petroleum and arsenic are two of the most common chemicals found in your favorite foods at the grocery store?
And what’s worse, all the chemical enhanced foods for children, Oreos, Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, Cheerios. Not even giving their pure bodies a chance to thrive from the start.
Want to optimize your health for the new year, going gluten-free and dairy-free is the first step. After you eat dairy if you feel discomfort you are likely lactose intolerant and in truth every human is. Our bodies are not equipped to break down dairy molecules making them a highly inflammatory food.
Therefore on the brighter side, we have spent many late nights perfecting things like coconut milk ice cream.
There is an art to homemade ice cream and sorry to say, an ice cream maker is essential. When it comes to frozen desserts we can’t get enough of our organic full fat coconut milk. This plant based vegan ice cream is creamy and inflammation free. You can top your delightful dessert with clean chocolate chips, cacao nibs, shredded coconut, seasonal fruit, and beyond.
Some recipes call for almond milk or oat milk. But for it’s uniquely high health benefits I recommend using organic coconut milk. Using natural sweeteners is always our preference like maple syrup, agave, or honey, divorce cane sugar forever.
So what we love most about this recipe is the Turmeric use, for its highly medicinal properties. So inspiring to eat foods that nourish and get back to an old world style of life. With every spoonful you are healing your insides. The natural energy and vibration of clean consumption is an infinite world of abundance.
GOLDEN MILK ICE CREAM (Vegan)
Prep Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours + 5 minutes
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Indian Inspired, Vegan
Freezer Friendly: 7-10 Days
- 2 cans of full fat organic coconut milk or coconut cream (even creamier!)
- 1 ½ teaspoons of organic ground ginger
- ¼ cup of organic maple syrup, agave, or honey
- 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of organic cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon of (alcohol-free / organic) vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of organic olive oil (Pro Tip: Costco’s Italian Olive Oil is best)
- ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 pinch of sea salt (don't miss out on the nutritional value of quality sea salt)
- First and foremost, make sure your ice cream maker bowl is set in the freezer the day before.
- Add all ingredients (except for vanilla extract and olive oil) to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer, not boil.
- Whisk thoroughly to remove any lumps and remove from heat. Then add vanilla extract to the ice cream mixture.
- Taste to make sure you enjoy the amazing flavors. Maybe more salt to balance flavors, turmeric for more intense turmeric taste, cinnamon for warmth, or adding sweetener if needed.
- Before putting into your ice cream machine, let this magical mixture sit out to cool. Then refrigerate overnight or 4-6 hours if you can’t wait to enjoy.
- Whisk in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and pour the mixture into your frozen bowl.
- Let the ice cream machine churn to perfection for about 20-30 minutes. Or according to your mixer’s directions until it looks like a creamy, soft serve texture.
- Once churned, pour into a parchment paper lined loaf pan and place into the freezer. Pro Tip: Best time to enjoy each 1/2 cup serving is within 1-4 hours of making it. This is so that the coconut cream doesn’t harden too much when frozen.
I dedicate this health & wellness blog post to every woman who feels broken, unheard, and unhealthy at times. I am you, you are me, we are all in this together. Cheers to happy, healthy, healing moments in the new year. Namaste beautiful souls.
xx -- Brit, female founder of BeachCandy Swimwear